Our commitment to safety excellence goes beyond operating our business in a responsible manner—it reflects the vision and dedication shared by our management team and the employees who operate our assets on a daily basis. Across the organization, we have more than 250 dedicated employees, working under the direction of our Chief Operating Officer, who focus on health, safety and environmental matters. Their hard work has not gone unnoticed: in 2018, 2019 and 2020 we were recognized for our outstanding safety performance by the International Liquid Terminals Association.
We are committed to a year-over-year reduction in total recordable injuries and federally reportable releases as we strive toward our goal of zero incidents.
Commitment to Safety
Plains strives to:
- Comply with all laws, rules and regulations applicable to our business.
- Verify compliance through self-monitoring programs and regular facility assessments, and correct any conditions in our operations that may have health, safety or environmental impacts.
- Train and empower each employee to recognize his or her responsibility and accountability to act in a safe manner.
- Establish and maintain corporate controls, including periodic reviews, to ensure our policies are properly implemented and maintained.
- Participate with federal, state and local government representatives to establish regulations that safeguard the community, workplace and the environment.
- Assess potential health, safety or environmental concerns prior to the lease, construction or purchase of property.
- Establish appropriate design, construction, operation and maintenance programs and practices to minimize risks, reduce incidents, limit waste, increase energy efficiency and conserve natural resources.
To learn more, download our Health, Safety and Environmental Policy Statement.
Plains Life Rules
The safety and well-being of our employees and contractors is our top priority. Our employees and contractors utilize 11 Life Rules to guide the way we work, as we believe following these Life Rules will help eliminate personal injuries, motor vehicle incidents and environmental releases. The Life Rules are:
- Have Work Authorization
- Assess and Mitigate Hazards
- Isolate and Verify Energy Sources
- Manage Ground Disturbance
- Manage Confined Space
- Safely Perform Hot Work Activities
- Work Safely at Heights
- Safely Operate Lifting Equipment
- Don't Bypass Safety Controls and Stay within System Limits
- Safely Operate Vehicles and Motorized Equipment
- Be Fit For Duty
In addition to the Life Rules, employees are required to follow all applicable company policies and procedures. All Plains employees have the responsibility and authority to stop work without the fear of reprisal if they believe a situation exists that places themselves, the community or the environment at risk.