Three goals direct our efforts toward achieving our U.S. operational vision:
- Reduce Risk – Actively and systematically manage risk to protect people and the environment, and strive to achieve zero incidents while meeting our ﬁnancial obligations.
- Beyond Compliance – Consistently operate in a manner that builds trust in our operations, going beyond compliance with legislative and regulatory requirements.
- Operational Excellence – Consistently perform and deliver through leadership, collaboration, continuous improvement and personal responsibility.
To achieve these goals, Plains is actively engaged in the implementation of the American Petroleum Institute’s Recommenced Practice 1173 (RP 1173), which provides a pipeline safety management system framework. This framework guides the way organizations that operate liquids and gas pipelines reveal and manage risk, promote a learning environment and continuously improve pipeline safety and integrity.
With a strong commitment from leadership, Plains began the design and development of its management system several years ago. We chose the name Operations Management System (OMS) to reflect the broad, integrated effort with safety as a fundamental value underlying everything we do.
The OMS framework consists of nine elements, each of which has specific expectations and requirements for the systematic approach to reducing risk and operating safely.
- Leadership Commitment – Leaders must demonstrate their commitment, set expectations and drive the execution of operational excellence.
- Stakeholder Engagement – We will engage, respect and work with our stakeholders inside and outside of the company to foster a dialogue that is open and meaningful.
- Risk Management – We will have a high risk awareness and low risk tolerance.
- Operational Controls – In reviewing operational procedures, we will focus on determining both compliance and effectiveness.
- Incident Management – Learning from experience will be a vital component of improving safety performance.
- Competence & Training – We will provide development opportunities for employees that build trust and confidence, and reaffirm that our leaders value the safety of employees, contractors and the public.
- Safety Assurance & Continuous Improvement – Business success will be derived through the repeated execution and continuous improvement of key business processes.
- Emergency Preparedness & Response – We will plan for a prompt and effective emergency response that minimizes the adverse impacts of an incident to people and the environment, as well as to our assets.
- Information Management – Accurate documentation and record keeping will lead to greater certainty that our assets will perform as expected.
Plains is committed to implementing this framework using the continuous improvement cycle at the core of RP 1173 and our OMS.