Our commitment to safety excellence goes beyond operating our business in a responsible manner—it reflects the vision and dedication shared by our management team and the employees who operate our assets on a daily basis.
All Plains employees have the responsibility and authority to stop work without the fear of reprisal if they believe a situation exists that places themselves, the community or the environment at risk.
We are dedicated to a year-over-year reduction in all injuries, illnesses, incidents and releases, as we strive toward our goal of zero incidents.
Commitment to Safety
Plains strives to:
- Comply with all laws, rules and regulations applicable to our business.
- Verify compliance through self-monitoring programs and regular facility assessments, and correct any conditions in our operations that may have health, safety or environmental impacts.
- Train and empower each employee to recognize his or her responsibility and accountability to act in a safe manner.
- Establish and maintain corporate controls, including periodic reviews, to ensure our policies are properly implemented and maintained.
- Participate with federal, state and local government representatives to establish regulations that safeguard the community, workplace and the environment.
- Assess potential environmental, health or safety concerns prior to the lease, construction or purchase of property.
- Establish appropriate design, construction, operation and maintenance programs and practices to minimize risks, reduce incidents, limit waste, increase energy efficiency and conserve natural resources.
Across the organization, we have more than 220 dedicated employees who focus exclusively on environmental, health and safety initiatives. To learn more, download our Environmental, Health and Safety Policy Statement.
Plains Life Rules
The Plains Life Rules are 11 safety expectations that guide the way we work and should be kept top-of-mind by employees and contractors every day. The safety and well-being of our employees and contractors is our top priority, and following the Life Rules will help eliminate personal injuries, motor vehicle incidents and environmental releases. The Plains Life Rules are:
- Have Work Authorization
- Assess and Mitigate Hazards
- Isolate and Verify Energy Sources
- Manage Ground Disturbance
- Manage Confined Space
- Safely Perform Hot Work Activities
- Work Safely at Heights
- Safely Operate Lifting Equipment
- Don't Bypass Safety Controls and Stay within System Limits
- Safely Operate Vehicles and Motorized Equipment
- Be Fit For Duty
Learn more about our commitment to Operational Safety here